Citizens Advice Knowsley are looking for a volunteer form filler to assist clients complete forms (for example, to apply for a benefit).
What will you do?
- complete an introduction to Citizens Advice and training for your role
- complete paper and online forms with clients, for example to apply for a benefit, or to complete an application for money or equipment from a charity
- discuss a client’s income and spending with them, and together drawing up a budget
- write a summary of the clients’ problems and what action you’ve taken
- look out for problems’ that are common, or are unfair, and write a short report about the problem or a letter to an elected official like an MP, AM or local councillor.
Some examples of what you could do:
- find the information online that explains how to apply for Housing Benefit in a client’s local area and explain it to them
- identify what steps a client can take to resolve their problem with a second hand car
- help a client find and understand what steps they can take to deal with their rent arrears
What’s in it for you?
- make a real difference to people’s lives
- gain in-depth knowledge about specific issues, such as benefits, and debt
- build on valuable skills such as communication, questioning and listening, interpreting information and summarising
- increase your employability
- work with a range of different people, independently and in a team.
- have a positive impact in your community
And we’ll reimburse expenses too.
What do you need to have?
- be friendly and approachable
- be non-judgmental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own
- have good listening skills
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- be able to understand information and summarise it
- be willing to learn about and follow the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies, including confidentiality and data protection
- have good maths and IT skills
- be willing to undertake training in your role
How much time do you need to give?
Ideally we ask for 6 hours per week, which can be over one day or spread over two days, for at least 6 months.
We can be flexible so come and talk to us.
Our volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and we particularly welcome applications from disabled people, people with physical or mental health conditions, LGBT+ and non-binary people, and people from Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities.
If you are interested in becoming a form filler and would like to discuss flexibility around location, time, ‘what you will do’ and how we can support you please contact us.
Phone: 0151 477 6023